ACE is both an instructional and an assessment strategy that can be implemented at any and every level to engage students in “showing what they know” through extended response answers.
ACE 3rd Edition
Purpose: To gain an understanding of the ACE (Answer-Cite-Expand) method of developing and evaluating short-answer, extended written responses.
- Understanding of the role of the ACE strategy in helping students “show they know or can do” the learning standards as evidenced in a brief, constructed response.
- Ways to engage students in using the ACE strategy in a variety of subjects to demonstrate learning in a short-answer, extended written response.
- Ability to use the ACE strategy as part of classroom or student improvement cycles.
Classroom teachers, grade-level/department teams based on analysis of school or grade-level or department data indicating that students are in need of a strategy for developing competency with short-answer, extended response questions
Continuous Classroom Improvement experience preferred but not required
1 day training or 3-4 hour coaching session
Required Materials for Participants:
- ACE: Strategies for Demonstrating Learning with Short Answer, Extended Written Response Items 3rd Edition Participant Workbook
Additional Materials That Should Be Considered to Support Participant Learning:
- State standards
- State/district scoring rubrics for short-answer, extended response items